Everyone wants to know the secret tricks of how to whiten teeth and brighten their smile.
The answer may appear simple - to brush more - but it’s not that easy.
We’ve put together our ten top tips to help get you that perfect white smile.
Here we go…
- Remember the basics: Brush your teeth when you first get out of bed and before you get back in at night. An evening brush is important because saliva, which keeps cavity-causing plaque off teeth, dries up at night, so it’s best to have all plaque cleaned off the teeth before sleep. The morning brush is important to remove the plaque and bacteria that built up as you slept.
- Electric toothbrush: Results from clinical trials indicate that brushing with an electric model is more likely to help your teeth and gums stay healthy than brushing with a normal toothbrush. Electric toothbrush bristles vibrate or rotate to help you remove plaque build-up from your teeth and gums. The vibration allows for more micro-movements every time you move your toothbrush across your teeth.
- Spit don’t rinse: The fluoride in toothpaste is topical so it needs to be topped up frequently. After brushing it is best to spit rather than rinse so the fluoride stays in your mouth for longer. This is important for the night-time brush so the fluoride can coat your teeth while you sleep.
- Eat ‘detergent’ foods: Foods that are firm or crisp are known to help clean teeth as they're eaten. Apples are thought to be “nature's toothbrush” and are a great way of cleaning teeth on the go. Other choices include raw carrots, celery and popcorn. These foods are known as “detergent” foods as the rough edges act as a cleaner to remove bacteria from the teeth.
- Avoid ‘staining’ foods (and smoking): Anything that will stain a white shirt will stain your teeth. Cut out the bad stuff to protect your teeth. These range from coffee and red wine to fizzy drinks and processed sugary foods. Smoking is also a big no-no.
- Avoid a Dry Mouth: Saliva neutralises acid and washes it away, but people suffering from a dry mouth miss out on this protective effect. For example, when people breathe through their mouths, it can prevent saliva from moisturising the mouth.
- Chuck your toothbrush: Chuck out your toothbrush or change the head of your electric toothbrush at least every three to four months otherwise you’re just transferring bacteria to and around your mouth, which is not healthy. You should aim to replace your toothbrush once the soft bristles begin to fray.
- Floss: Try to floss several times a week as this will help keep white teeth from yellowing by getting rid of food particles and preventing the build-up of plaque. Floss is useful for reaching very narrow areas between teeth and can help you to clean these areas.
- Whitening toothpaste: Whitening toothpastes are effective for removing surface stains from the teeth, but they can’t change the natural tooth colour. Look for a whitening toothpaste that contains blue covarine. This chemical diminishes the yellow appearance on the surface of the tooth.
- The Man Behind The Mirror Teeth Whitening Kit: If you are looking for a quick and effective way to whiten your teeth then you should use the Man Behind The Mirror teeth whitening plan which delivers visible results in as little as 10 minutes. Our teeth whitening gel has a unique formulation with core ingredients proven to fight off stains and whiten teeth. You may view and purchase our teeth offering here.
If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.